Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Getting in with Leslie Vernon

Today I’m going to review a little movie called Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. I’m not a huge slasher movie fan, while I will watch them occasionally if they seem interesting they don’t usually yank my goat. I see them as to much ho and hum but this one piqued my curiosity. I’d heard some good things about it so I decided to check it out. Well I came away thinking, hey that was pretty good.

Your singing into your beer makes my ears hurt
Your singing into your beer makes my ears hurt
The plot revolves around a small team of documentary film makers who are invited to follow Leslie Vernon who wants to give rise to a new horror legend such as Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees. Leslie is played quite well by Nathan Baesel and portrayed with a dual personality. Without the mask he eventually wears he is a likeable character who spouts Jim Carrey quotes and seems to be very disarming but his real motive is to find his heroin, the girl that will survive his slaughter to tell the world about him and the new legend. The film crew headed by Taylor Gentry (Angela Goethals) unwittingly become part of his scheme and as they follow his setup of the perfect “teen massacre” they begin to realise that they may be in to deep with a guy who isn’t just a ineffectual wacko but might be the real thing. A quite amusing casting is Leslies nemesis in the legend, Robert Englund who plays Dr Halloran. I had to laugh.


Let me save you with these two meat hooks!...oh dear...
Let me save you with these two meat hooks!...oh dear...
There are plot holes, I mean really are the documentary filmers  this stupid…well obviously yes  and the ending does seem to just all fall into place a little too neatly but hey I didn’t mind in the end. There are kills and then some nudity…score. I’m a simple man at heart with simple needs.

In the end I enjoyed this movie. I give it a solid 6.5 (7.5 or higher if your a fan of slasher movies)  and a possible rise of a new horror legend…well maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment